Across the world, people are getting attracted to natural beauty products due to safety and excellent results. One of the most popular natural product for skin-care is essential oil. Each typeof essential oil carries properties and true essence of the plant from which it has been extracted. Therefore, they are used widely as a natural remedy for various beauty and skin related problems. They keep skin clear, increases skin elasticity, reduces wrinkles, lightens scars and so much more! Let’s take a look at various types of essential oils and their effects on skin care:
1. Frankincense Essential Oil: Frankincense essential oil is beneficial for all skin type. Due to anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory property, it regenerates new cell and lifts skin. It has an ability to improve tone and texture, elasticity, works against blemishes and as prevents aging. Furthermore, it reduces scar appearances and heals wounds. Some researchers reveal that frankincense oil on stretch marks and dry skin moisturizes and
eliminates skin marks.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil: Grapefruit essential oil clearly has a rejuvenating effect on the skin. For the reason, it has properties of antibacterial, antiseptic and skin boosting. Therefore, it has an ability to treat acne naturally. It disinfects and kills off acne-causing bacteria. You will perfect skin texture and tone if you will use grapefruit oil on a routine basis. Furthermore, it reduces oily skin and shrinks pores. It opens up blocked pores and tightens skin. As a result, you will get flawless skin.
3. Lavender Essential Oil: The lavender essential oil smells amazing. It is useful for both aromatherapy and therapeutic applications. Versatile properties of lavender essential oil: antimicrobial, antifungal, detoxifying and antioxidant gives great benefits to body and skin. Therefore, they are used for cosmetic purposes for ages. According to various cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists, lavender essential oil is considered one of the best oil to apply on skin. It regenerates skin cells and tends to be prone to wrinkles and sagging. It treats skin related issues like wrinkles, inflammatory conditions, eczema, and
acne. Lavender essential oil regulates over excessive excretion of sebum. Hence, lightens and heals up scar of acne and gives relief. Furthermore, lavender essential oil has an anti-inflammatory property which improves skin tone and skin elasticity. And the most important it is for all types and needs of skin.
4. Patchouli Essential Oil: Patchouli Essential oil is for all skin types. Even if the skin is dry, oily, cracked or acne-prone skin. It keeps skin healthy, young and vibrant by regenerating new skin cells. Due to antiseptic property, it protects cuts and sores from becoming infected. You will find healing benefits from this oil if you will apply to the infected area. Furthermore, it minimizes scars and marks because of wounds, acne, poxes or measles. Even bug bites are healed with this versatile oil.
5. Rosemary Essential Oil: Though Rosemary herbs are famous for flavoring and medicinal purposes. But they are quite useful for skincare too. It is highly effective on many types of skin and is widely used in lotion, masks, face wash, soaps. Ingredients of rosemary essential oil act as the miracle on the skin by reducing puffiness ( swelling ) and by giving you glowing skin. It enhances circulation of blood and lifts up the skin to combats aging signs. Rosemary Essential oil has natural antioxidants to slow the effect of aging on
the skin. When massaged on the skin, rosemary oil reduces scars and blemishes on the skin. As a result, fine lines and wrinkles will reduce, acne scars will eliminate and most important better skin complexion.
6. Tea Tree Essential Oil: Tea tree oil soothes dry skin and reduces itching. Even many researchers suggest tea tree essential oil to treat Eczema. Tea tree oil is a fungus fighter which combats oily skin and gives acne prone skin. Softening blend of oil helps to counter cracked and ragged cuticles.
7. Orange Sweet Essential oil: Orange Sweet Essential oil is rich in vitamin C which heals and protects skin. It produces collagen which is fights aging signs like wrinkles and dark spots on the skin. It lowers the rate of skin damage in the exposure of UV rays and pollution. Most noteworthy, citrus oil increases effect of UV rays on the skin. So, avoid going in direct sunlight for at least 12 hours after applying this oil. Due to citrus fruit, it has a potential to fight inflammation and bacteria on the skin that causes acne.
8. Peppermint Essential oil: Peppermint Essential oil has toning and anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it gives a cooling effect to the skin and refreshes up dull skin. It also has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. Thus, it has the ability to cure skin diseases. It reduces blackheads, oily skin, inflammation, chicken pox, sunburn, scabies, itchy skin, and ringworm. All of the above it has SPF factor ( Sun protection factor) which is higher than other essential oils. Hence, it prevents and cures sunburn skin. Besides it also
hydrates burnt skin and relieves the pain from sunburn. It is the best oil for allergies because of invigorating, expectorant and anti-inflammatory property. Peppermint Essential oil has methanol which gives a cooling effect and brightens up the dull skin. Now that if you have found the oil you would like to use, let’s check how to apply Essential oils
on the skin?
● Frankincense Essential oil: Take 1 drop of frankincense oil with 3 drops of carrier oil and give gentle circular massage on your skin. In a while, your skin will soak up oil. Prefer to apply oil at night before bed for better results.
● Grapefruit Essential oil: Dilute Grapefruit essential oil with a carrier oil (olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil) in 1:1 ratio. Massage oil on your affected skin area.
● Lavender Essential oil: Mix 3-4 drops with a ½ teaspoon of carrier oil and apply it on your concern area. Even add lavender essential oil in your face or body wash. The best way to use lavender oil is with frankincense oil. Mix them both and massage to your skin. It will decrease inflammation and aging signs.
● Patchouli Essential oil: Add 5-10 drops of patchouli oil to your lotion and face wash. Even you can apply oil directly on the skin to get rid of scars. Apply it on daily basis for better results.
● Rosemary Essential oil: Oil masks work the best on a fresh skin. So, leave oil on the skin for minimum 5-10 minutes and rinse it well with warm water. Add 4-5 drops of rosemary oil in 4 teaspoon of carrier oil.
● Tea Tree Essential Oil: Do not apply tea tree oil directly on the skin. Mix 1-2 drops of tea tree oil with 10-12 drops of carrier oil ( olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil). It is important to dilute it before using. Furthermore, before applying to try this oil on a patch of skin to know the reaction of oil on the skin.
● Orange sweet Essential oil: If you are allergic to Citric acid then you should avoid orange sweet essential oil. Dilute orange sweet oil with a carrier oil (olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil )in 1:1 ratio to apply on skin. Furthermore, add a few drops of essential oil to lotion or a warm bath.
● Peppermint Essential oil: Mix 2 drops of Peppermint oil with 2 teaspoon of carrier oil. Even it improves eczema and psoriasis when mixed with lavender oil and applied externally.
A Word of Caution :
1. Take Skin patch test before applying on your skin.
2. Consult a doctor if you are allergic to anything.
3. Pregnant women should consult a doctor.
4. Avoid eyes, ears and sensitive part contact to essential oil.